Velyka Dobron Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located between Tabla Street and Shkolnaya Street, behind the market on Shkolnaya Street. The cemetery can be accessed through 11, Shkilna Street.
The perimeter of preserved and fenced part of the cemetery is 140 meters. Cadastral map of 1865 shows that there was an old part of the cemetery to the west from the existing one. It is now totally destroyed and overbuilt. Total perimeter of both parts of the cemetery is 378 meters.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by an old concrete fence with barbed wire.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Part of the cemetery is demolished and overbuilt. The preserved part is fenced,it is in good condition and the territory is cleaned up.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery of Velyka Dobron’ was established during the 19th century. It already existed in 1885, as evident from the oldest gravestone found by the ESJF expedition. The cemetery was in use until WWII. .
Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Velyka Dobron’ in the early 19th century. In 1830, six Jews lived here. In 1880, the Jewish population had risen to 123 (6% of the total population). By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population had increased to 227. Jews were active in trade and craft, as well as farming. The local flour mill was also under Jewish ownership. In 1930, 244 Jews lived in Velyka Dobron’ (7% of the total population). Hungarian forces arrived to Velyka Dobron’ in March 1939 and, in 1941, drafted some Jews into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. By 1941, the Jewish population numbered 275. In the same year, some families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podils’k in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Velyka Dobron’ were deported to Auschwitz in May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.