Vchorayshe Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Zhytomyr
District
Ruzhyn
Settlement
Vchorayshe
Site address
The cemetery is located east of the intersection of the road T-0606 and Oleksandriyivs’ka street.
GPS coordinates
49.86181, 29.12657
Perimeter length
402 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is in the wood. It is overgrown. It needs clearing. There is a MMZ. The neighbour says that some of the gravestones were stolen.
Number of existing gravestones
There are around 70 gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1906 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1999 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was established no later than the early 20th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1906. It is marked on the Red Army map of 1941.

Jews first settled in Vchorayshe (Ukr. Вчорайше, Rus. Вчерайше, Yid. טשעראַשניע) in the early 19th century. As of 1885, the Jewish community maintained a prayer house. The Jewish population was 1,108 (33% of the town) in 1897. In the interwar period, many Jews moved to larger cities. There were 494 Jews (13%) in Vchorayshe in 1939. Some Jews were able to flee the advancing German army in 1941. The Jews who had failed to evacuate were confined in a ghetto. Around 300 Jews were murdered in Vchorayshe in 1941-43.
The exact date of the establishment of the cemetery is unknown, however the earliest tombstone dates back to 1906. The marker on the mass grave of 35 Holocaust victims was placed in 1998.