Vasylivka Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment as well as demolishing is unknown. It was established no later than the first half of the 20th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone (in the museum) dates to 1905. According to locals, the cemetery was demolished and the tombstones were used for the construction of private houses. It cannot be found marked on old maps of the region.
Vasylivka’s (Ukr. Василівка, Rus. Васильевка) Jewish community maintained a cheder in 1846 as well as a synagogue in 1885. The Jewish population was 252 (30% of the total) in 1897, but dropped to 97 in 1939 (less than 2% of the total population). During the German occupation, 42 Jews were shot in October 1941. According to the 2001 census, there were 13 Jews in Vasylivka and the neighbouring areas.
It is not known when exactly the cemetery was founded. The earliest tombstone preserved at the local museum dates to 1905. Over the years, local residents used tombstones from the abandoned cemetery for construction until there were none left.