Vasmegyer Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Vasmegyer was established after 1870, since it does not appear on the cadastral map of that year. The oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to 1931, while the latest was erected in 1938. These dates do not provide sufficient information to definitively determine the cemetery’s operation period. This cemetery has not been fenced.
The first Jews settled in Vasmegyer in the late 18th century. The Jewish population in 1836 was 26 and peaked at 70 in 1880. The community’s numbers later decreased and by 1941 only 34 Jew remained in the village. In 1944, they were deported to the Nyíregyháza Ghetto and then to Auschwitz.