Vashkivtsi Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in the first half of the 19th century. First, it was marked on a map of the 1880s. The cemetery is still operating.
The Jewish community existed in the mid-15th century. In the early 19th century, a Jewish school and hospital operated. In 1890, 790 Jews (16,5% of the total population) lived in Vashkivtsi. The majority of the Jews of Vashkivtsi were followers of Hasidism. Until the 1930s, the Jews were mainly engaged in agriculture and crafts. In the pre-war period, the Jewish population was involved in trade and finance, law, medicine, teaching and other professional engagements. In 1930, the Jewish population grew to 820 (13% of the total population). On July 7, 1941, a Jewish camp was established. Around 1,500 Jews were imprisoned here. On July 26, 1941, the Jews were expelled to Transnistria. Some Jewish families survived and returned to Vashkivtsi after WWII.