Varyazh Jewish Cemetery
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on maps of the 1880s and 1939. Presumably, the cemetery was operating in the second half of the 19th century. It can be supposed that it was demolished after WWII.
Jews are recorded from 1573. The Jewish population was engaged in petty trade and crafts. The Jewish community emerged in the late 18th century. By that period, Varyazh became a centre of the Belz Hasidism. The Belz Hasidim predominated, and the Ruzhin and Husiatyn Hasidic dynasties were present. In 1880, 880 Jews (65% of the total population) lived in Varyazh. In the 19th century, Pinchas Eisen (1845-1915) from 1886, Sholem Babad (1877-1943) from 1910, and his son-in-law Avraham-Mordhe Ashkenazi (1883-1943), who was later expelled to Siberia, served as community rabbis. In 1900, the Jewish population stood at 964 (65% of the total population) and dropped to 520 (54% of the total population) in 1921. A synagogue was destroyed during a 1921 fire. 50 Jewish families lost their houses in a 1934 fire. The German forces occupied Varyazh in June 1941. During WWII, a labour camp was in the town. The Jewish population of Varyazh perished during the Holocaust.