Vamosatya Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Vámosatya was established as early as 1874, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery back to that year. The latest tombstone was erected in 1909. The cemetery has not been fenced.
The first Jews settled in Vámosatya at the beginning of the 19th century. The Jewish population in 1840 was 29 and increased to 63 in 1880 and 74 1910. By 1941, their population decreased to 27. Following the differences between the Orthodox and the Maskilim at the Jewish Congress in 1869 which resulted in the Schism in Hungarian Jewry, the community joined the Orthodox stream. The Jews of Vámosatya mainly worked in the fruit trade. According to the Yad Vashem database, about 39 Jews from Vámosatya were murdered in the Holocaust.