Vakhnivka New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Vinnytsia
District
Kalinovsky
Settlement
Vakhnivka New
Site address
The cemetery is located opposite the house on 49 Dzerzhinsky street.
GPS coordinates
49.31448, 28.8342
Perimeter length
295 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is unfenced, but a ditch runs around the perimeter.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is overgrown with seasonal vegetation.
Number of existing gravestones
Approximately 50 tombstones. Many of the stones are topple or obscured by bushes.
Date of oldest tombstone
1902 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1914 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was established in the first half of the 18th century. It can be found on a Russian map of the region from the 1900s.

The earliest evidence of Vakhnivka’s Jewish community was in the mid 18th century, when it already had a synagogue and a cemetery.
In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of the Kiev Governorate (Kievskaya Gubernia). In 1847, Vakhnivka’s Jewish community numbered 534. In 1897, the Jewish population constituted almost half of the town: 2404 of 5371. At the beginning of the 20th century there was an ancient synagogue, built in the mid 18th century, 5 prayer houses and a private Jewish school for girls. In 1912, a Jewish loan bank was established.
The Jewish population of Vakhnivka suffered greatly during World War I and the civil war in Russia. In May and July 1919, pogroms claimed a number of victims.
After 1922, Vakhnivka became a part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. In 1923, the Jewish community numbered 1994 and in 1926, the Jewish population was 2101. In 1932-33 the Holodomor claimed a great number of victims, Jews among them.
Prior to WW2, the Jewish community of Vakhnivka consisted of around 800 people. In July 1941, Vakhnivka was occupied by the German troops. On June 3rd 1942, over 400 Jews were killed in a single day. An additional mass grave with about 40 victims is located on the edge of Vakhnivka at a former Jewish cemetery.
In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Vakhnivka became a part of the independent Ukraine.
All that remains of the new Jewish cemetery of Vakhnivka are a few dozen tombstones which date back to the first half of 20th century.

View 3D model