Vaja Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Vaja was established as early as 1860, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1941 – the year in which the latest tombstone was erected. The cemetery has been fenced.
The first Jews settled in Vaja at the beginning of the 19th century and by 1840, 20 Jews were living in the village. The Jewish population later increased to 123 in 1880 and peaked at 246 in 1910, after which the population decreased. In 1941 there were 172 Jews in the village, and 164 by 1944. The community had a synagogue, a Chevra Kadisha (burial society), a cheder, and a mikveh.
In 1876, the community affiliated with the Orthodox stream. The community did not employ a rabbi, though the leader of the community was Jakab Rosenfeld. By 1941 the young Jewish men of the village were taken for forced labour. In April 1944, the Jews of Vaja were gathered and confined in the synagogue for a full day. During this time, the local Baptist pastor brought food to the Jews and took the two Torah scrolls. They were then sent to the Kisvárda Ghetto and were deported to Auschwitz on Shavuot. 25 Jews who survived the war returned to the village and renovated the synagogue and cleaned the cemetery. By 1960 there was no Jewish community in Vaja as only one family remained in the village.