Ustechko Jewish Сemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Ternopyl
District
Zalishchyky
Settlement
Ustechko
Site address
Ustechko Jewish Сemetery
GPS coordinates
48.77482, 25.59122
Perimeter length
270 meters
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over. The cemetery site is a wasteland.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved. Remnants of Jewish gravestones with inscriptions from the site are located at the Christian cemetery (48.77487, 25.59479).
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Low
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged in the early 19th century. First, it appears on cadastral maps of 1830.
According to a census, 47 Jewish houses were in Ustechko in 1765. In the first half of the 19th century, Rabbi Tzvi Shlomo was appointed the judge of the Jewish court. In 1880, the Jewish population reached 969 (37,4% of the total population). At the turn of the century, 81 students were enrolled in an elementary school supported by Baron Hirsh. In 1921, 244 (12,7% of the total population) Jews were inhabitants of Ustechko. In the 1930s, the branch of the HaRevizionistim and association Poalei-Zion were in operation. In October 1942, all the Jews of Ustechko were deported to Tluste.