Ushomyr Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. But it emerged no later than the early 20th century, as the earliest tombstone dates to 1919. It is also marked on a map from the 1900’s. The cemetery was used by the Jews of Tcholivka. It was restored in the 1970’s.
Jews in Ushomyr (Ukr., Rus. Ушомир, Yid. אישאָמער) are first mentioned in 1750. The community maintained a synagogue and a prayer house as of 1885. The Jewish population stood at 1,129, which was 78% of the total, in 1897. During the Civil War of 1918–21, the community suffered from pogroms and looting. There were 1,749 Jews in Ushomyr in 1926. After the German invasion of the USSR in 1941, some of Ushomyr’s Jews were able to flee. The majority of the remaining Jews were murdered. Four Jewish youngsters burned 48 houses in retaliation.
It is not known when the cemetery was founded. It is marked on maps from around 1900. According to the 1994–95 survey of the Jewish Preservation Committee (KSEN), the oldest identifiable date on a tombstone was 1919. The monument marks the mass grave of Holocaust victims.