Uhniv Jewish Cemetery
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is not available, but it was marked on maps from the 18th century, until 1939. It can be supposed that the cemetery was demolished after WWII and later built over.
The earliest records about Jews in Uhniv date from 1550. In 1635, 30 Jewish houses existed. In 1720, nearly 17 Jews lived in Uhniv. During the 17th and 18th century, the main spheres local Jews were engaged in was the leasing of land and petty trade. By the late 18th century, the local community became independent from the kehila of Zhovkva. In the mid-19th century, the stream of Belz Hasidism became popular among local Jews. In 1880, the Jewish population reached 1,842 (43% of the total population). In 1900, the Jewish population grew to 2,140 (48% of the total population). The Zionist movement became active in the beginning of the 20th century, and Zionist activity increased in the interwar period. Avigdor Spitzer was one of the Zionist leaders of Uhniv. He maintained a school of Hebrew language in his house. In 1931, the Jewish population numbered 2,020 individuals. The Nazis occupied Uhniv on June 22, 1941. In late July, 1942, arouтв 1,000 Jews were deported to the extermination camp Belzec. In September, 1942 the remaining Jewish population were confined to the ghetto of Rava-Rus’ka.