Tyukod Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Tyukod does not appear on any cadastral maps from the 19th century. According to “Izraelita Temetok” (http://www.izraelitatemetok.hu/index.php/tyukod/), there are at least 15 tombstones in the cemetery. No legible tombstones which could supply further information about the cemetery’s period of operation have been found.
Tyukod is a village located in Szabolcs-Szatmár Bereg county—an area rich in Bronze Age artefacts—in the northeast of Hungary, close to the Romanian border. In 1880, Jews accounted for 17 people of the village’s total population of 947. The Jewish population increased over the years and peaked at 107 in 1920. By 1941, 80 people of village’s population (3,537) were Jewish. During the World War II, 77 Jews from Tyukod were sent to the Mátészelka Ghetto, and then deported Auschwitz. 12 Jews from the village survived the war. The synagogue in Tyukod was demolished.