Tuszyn Jewish Cemetery
Tuszyn was established in 1416. The first mention of Jewish settlement dates back to the 17th century. In 1897, the community numbered 589 residents, comprising 36% of the total population. During World War II, Jews from Tuszyn and neighboring villages were transported to the ghetto in Piotrków Trybunalski, and from there, to the death camp at Treblinka.
The Jewish cemetery in Turzyn is located in Tuszyn-Las, by what today is 3 Maja Street.
The older residents refer to it as “kirchol.” The date of the cemetery’s founding is unknown. During World War II, the cemetery was destroyed by the Germans and further destruction was perpetrated after the war. Matzevot were used in the construction of fences, paving roads, and are still being found today in various places around the city. Currently the cemetery is part of the area of the Municipal Center of Sport and Recreation, previously the Police Vacation Center. It is assumed that part of the missing tombstones from the cemetery are at the bottom of the pool built in the center in the 1950s. There existed a wall constructed out of tombstones on Poprzeczna Street until 2019. It is not known what happened to the tombstones after it was taken apart.
On November 30th 2020, a memorial was erected with an information plaque marking the area as the site of the Jewish cemetery.