Turyi Remety Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the Jewish cemetery in Turyi Remety was established in the 19th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in 1854. The cemetery was used until WWII, and the latest preserved gravestone date to 1942.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the Turyi Remety area in the early 19th century. In 1830, there were 45 Jews living in the town. In 1880, the Jewish population numbered around 162 (12% of the total population). By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population had increased to 235. Hungarians arrived to Turyi Remety in March 1939, with the consequence that Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. From 1940 to 1941, Jews from the area were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. By 1941, there were 168 Jews living in Turyi Remety. In 1941, some families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. Some Jews were deported to Auschwitz in 1944. No Jews live in the town today.