Tunyogmatolcs Jewish Cemetery in Tunyog
There were two Jewish cemeteries in Tunyogmatolcs – a village formed in 1961 by the merger of the former villages of Tunyog and Matolcs. This cemetery belonged to the Jewish community of Tunyog. It was established as early as 1863, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1944 as the latest tombstone was erected in that year. The cemetery has been fenced.
According to census data, 30 Jews lived in Tunyog in 1840. The Jewish population in the village over the subsequent decades was as follows: 79 in 1880, 66 in 1910, 76 in 1920, 87 in 1930, and 70 in 1941. According to the Yad Vashem database, about 160 Jews from Tunyog were murdered in the Holocaust.