Tunyogmatolcs Jewish Cemetery In Matolcs
There were two Jewish cemeteries in Tunyogmatolcs – a village formed in 1961 by the merger of the former villages of Tunyog and Matolcs. This cemetery belonged to the Jewish community of Matolcs. It was established as early as 1849, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone was erected in 1938. The cemetery has been fenced.
According to census data, 22 Jews lived in Matolcs in 1840. The Jewish population in the village over the subsequent decades was as follows: 26 in 1880, 21 in 1910, 21 in 1920, 14 in 1930, and 40 in 1941. According to the Yad Vashem database, about 62 Jews from Matolcs were murdered in the Holocaust.