Toykut Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery was founded no later than 1800. According to the memoirs of Yakiv Abramchuk, the Jewish cemetery of Nesukhoyizhi (Neskhizh), named “Okopyshche,” was destroyed by locals to gather building materials immediately after the town’s liberation from the Nazis in 1945. During the post-war period the territory was overbuilt. The first mention of the Jews of Neskhizh (Toykut’s Yiddish name) dates to 1569. Since the mid-18th century, the Jewish community was represented by the Shapira branch of the Hasidic dynasty. In 1847, the Neskhizh Jewish community counted 878 individuals. By 1870, a synagogue had been built. The 1897 census estimates the town’s Jewish population at 814 (43.7% of the total population). By 1921, the population had more than halved in size. Although now only 435 Jews lived in Toykut, they made up 92.7% of the total population. Before the Nazi occupation on June 25, 1941, it is estimated that 520 Jews lived in the village. By August 1942, 480 Jews had been shot, and the Jewish community of Toykut was erased. In the 1990s, a monument was erected on the execution site.