Tovarnik Jewish Cemetery
There is no information available about the Jewish community in Tovarnik. The Jewish cemetery was built in the 19th century and has since been totally demolished.
Tovarnik is a municipality in Vukovar-Syrmia County which borders Serbia. During the period of the Roman Empire, the settlement was called Ulmo and was part of the Roman province of Pannonia Secunda. Tovarnik was first mentioned during the Middle Ages in 1335. In the 14th and 15th centuries, the whole area was under the rule of Hungarian nobility. In 1632, while under Ottoman rule, there were only 30 houses in the village. After the end of Turkish rule, the region became a local centre for winemaking and agriculture. In 1829 there were 78 houses in the settlement and most of the population was Croatian. At the beginning of the 20th century, the population was 2,521.