Tiszakanyar Jewish Cemetery One
There were two Jewish cemeteries in Tiszakanyár. This cemetery was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The cemetery remained in use until at least 1939, which is the date marked on the latest tombstone found in the cemetery. The cemetery is currently part of the municipal cemetery.
Around 1843, 10 Jewish people lived in Tiszakanyár. There was never a significant Jewish community in the village. Indeed, the Jewish population reached its peak in 1870 with 28 people. Three families with the last name ‘Klein’ who lived in the settlement were taken to the Kisvárda Ghetto on April 16, 1944, when carts carrying the Jews of Dombrád passed through the village.
They were deported to Auschwitz at the end of May. By 1949, there were no Jews living in Tiszakanyár.