Tiszadob Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Tiszadob was established as early as 1821, the year which is marked on the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery. The latest tombstone was erected in 1941. The cemetery has been fenced and is maintained by Heritage Foundation for Preservation of Jewish Cemeteries.
Jews were first permitted to settle in Tiszadob in the second half of the 18th century and by 1828 there were 32 Jews living in the village. 162 Jews lived in Tiszadob in 1880, 90 in 1910, and 101 in 1930. The community had a synagogue and a Chevra Kadisha (burial society).
In 1876, the community affiliated with the Orthodox stream. On April 14, 1944, following the German occupation of Hungary, police burst into Jewish homes in the middle of the night and ordered all the Jews to assemble immediately in the synagogue, from where they were taken to the Nyiregyhaza Ghetto. Four days later they were sent to Harangod and on May 22 they were marched 8 km in the pouring rain to the Nyiregyhaza railway station and deported to Auschwitz. After the war, only 8 survivors returned to the village. The Jewish community was never re-established. In 1947, a monument dedicated to the memory of the Holocaust victims was erected in the village.