Tiszadada New Jewish Cemetery
There were two Jewish cemeteries in Tiszadada. Judging by the dates marked on tombstones in both cemeteries, the new cemetery opened around 1938, replacing the older cemetery. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1943, the year in which the latest tombstone found in the cemetery was erected. The cemetery has been fenced.
According to tradition, the first Jews arrived in Tiszadada in the second half of the 18th century and established a Chevra Kadisha in 1800. This is, however, contradicted by census data from 1840 which does not note any Jewish inhabitants. According to the following census report, the local Orthodox community had 231 members, which accounted for 9.4% of the village’s population. At the turn of the century, the Jewish population in the village began to decrease. In 1920, 164 Jews lived in Tiszadada, and decreased to 157 in 1941. The Jewish community presumably first held prayer services in a private house, after which the community built its own Synagogue in 1901, designed by Károly Kiss, a construction professional. There was also a Hassidic Jewish community in Tiszadada who were followers of the Munkacser Rebbe, Rabbi Spira Hajim Elazar.
The Munkacser Hasidim had their own synagogue and held services according to the Sephardic nusach. One famous local rabbi was Jehoshua Brisk, who was studied by the Wonder Rabbi of Liszka. Jehosua Brisk was the rabbi of Tiszadada until his death. At the end of April 1944, the local Jewish families were gathered into the synagogue’s garden where they were robbed by the Hungarian gendarmerie. 175 Jews were then transported by carriage to the Nyíregyháza Ghetto, from where they were deported Auschwitz. In 1949, after the Holocaust, only 14 Jews returned to Tiszadada, though they later left, and the Jewish community was never re-established. The synagogue was located on Kossuth Street close to the centre of the village, though it has since been torn down and there is no remainder of the building at that location. There is, however, a remaining piece of the ten commandments from the former synagogue in a small local museum.