Tiszabercel Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Tiszabercel was established as early as 1859, which is the date marked on the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery. Judging by the date on the latest tombstone, the cemetery remained in operation until at least 1943. The cemetery has been fenced.
The first Jews settled in Tiszabercel at the end of the 18th century. 259 Jews lived in the village in 1820, 203 in 1851, 113 in 1910,, and 129 by 1944. The community joined the Orthodox stream following the differences between the Orthodox and the Maskilim at the Jewish Congress in 1869 which resulted in the Schism in Hungarian Jewry. The community’s new synagogue was built at the end of the 19th century. In the 1940’s, the Rabbi of Tiszakarád, who also served as the rabbi for Buj and Ibrány, was Rabbi Ede Fried. Rabbi Fried, along with most of the Jewish community, was murdered in Auschwitz. In 1944, following the German occupation of Hungary and immediately after Pesach, all the Jews in the village, along with most Jews in the district, were sent to the Nyiregyhaza Ghetto, where they lived under the most difficult conditions, such as hunger, overcrowding, and general supply shortages. After a few weeks, they were deported to Auschwitz.