Tiszabecs Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Tiszabecs was established as early as the 1830s, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that period. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1941, the year in which the latest tombstone was erected. It is now part of the local municipal cemetery.
Jews were permitted to settle in Tiszabecs in the first half of the 19th century. In 1880, the Jewish population peaked at 107, following which the population decreased, and by 1941 the community accounted for 72 people. In 1869, the community affiliated with the Orthodox stream, following the differences between the Orthodox and the Maskilim at the Jewish Congress in 1869 which resulted in the Schism in Hungarian Jewry. At the end of May in 1944, following the German occupation of Hungary, the local Jews were deported to Auschwitz. After the war, two men and five women returned to the village, though they later left, and the Jewish community was never re-established.