Terebovlya Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It appears on the Austro-Hungarian Second and Third military survey maps of 1860s and 1880s. Presumably, it was established in 18th or early 19th century. According to locals, the cemetery was vandalised duing WWII, gravestones from the site were used to pave the roads. The cemetery was overbuilt in the 1960s.
The first records about the Jews of Terebovlya relate to 1539. The Jewish community was organised by the 18th century. The Jewish population reached a peak of 2,098 (25,3% of the total population). In 1921, 1,486 Jews were inhabitants of Terebovlya. Various Jewish parties, and Zionist organizations such as Ha-Shomer Ha-Tzair, Ha-Halutz, Ahava, etc., were active in the interwar period. In 1931, the Jewish population stood at 1,544, and, in 1941, around 1,700 Jews lived here. On the first month after the occupation, the executions of dozens of Jews occurred. In October 1942, the Jews from the adjoining villages were dispatched in Terebovlya. In early November, 1,091 Jews were deported to the Belzec death camp, and 109 were murdered on the spot. In December 1942, a ghetto for 2,500 prisoners was created. It was liquidated in June 1943. A monument was erected on the place of the mass shootings of Jews after the end of WWII.