Teglas Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Téglás was established as early as 1883, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone was erected in 1938. The cemetery has been fenced and is maintained by the Heritage Foundation for Preservation of Jewish Cemeteries.
The first information concerning the Jewish community of Téglás dates to the mid-19th century. The synagogue, the mikveh, and the butcher’s house were all built around this time. In 1880, the Jewish population was 42 and increased 40 years later to 117. By 1941, 183 Jews lived in the village. The first two rabbis of the village were Israel Paneth and Yisrael Mandel. 1885, the Jews of Téglás joined the larger Jewish community in Hajdúböszörmény, though the community still was affiliated with two other communities: Gyulahalom and Búcsúháza. The community later built a second synagogue. Among the Jews of the village, many were successful entrepreneurs in alcohol production, winemaking, and steam engines. In 1911, many Jews from Téglás emigrated to Canada, where they founded one of Canada’s largest supermarket chains. In 1941, young Jews were sent away for forced labour. In the spring of 1944, following the German occupation of Hungary, Hungarian authorities transported the Jews to the Bácsipuszta Ghetto along with Jews from Hajdúsámson and Vámospércs. They were later deported to and from there to Auschwitz on May 25.