Tatarbunary Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery emerged no later than the mid-19th century. It is marked on a Russian topographic map of 1860. According to local people, the cemetery was demolished 20 to 30 years ago, but the last tombstones were removed recently by local authorities and moved to the gas station on Papanina Street. Three years ago, a tombstone of Tsirlya Padva, which included a long poetic epitaph, was lying near the memorial to Holocaust victims. Today, it is no longer there.
There is not much information on Jewish community of Tatarbunary. As the cemetery existed already in the 1860s, it can be presumed that the community was already active at that period. In 1897, the Jewish population numbered 999, increasing to 1,202 by 1930. In late July 1941, local Jews were detained in a camp. On August 9, 1941, 451 Jews were murdered.