Tarpa Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Tarpa was established as early as 1931, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. This cemetery remained in operation until at least 1944, the year in which the latest tombstone was erected. The cemetery has been fenced
While the first Jews settled in Tarpa in the mid-18th century, the first record concerning the Jewish community is from the 1880 census, when 195 Jews were recorded as living in the village. The Jewish population increased over the following decades: 229 Jews lived in the village in 1920, and 245 by 1930. The community had a cheder, a Chevra Kadisha (burial society), a mikvah (ritual bath), and a synagogue. In 1876, the community affiliated with the Orthodox stream, following the Schism in Hungarian Jewry. In 1941, the young Jewish men from the village were conscripted for forced labour. Following the German occupation of Hungary, the Jews of Tarpa were gathered in the synagogue and soon transferred to the Beregszász Ghetto, from where they were later deported to Auschwitz. Only 19 Jews from Tarpa survived the war and returned to the town, though they all left soon after.