Tarlow Jewish Cemetery
Tombstones have been taken for building use and there was litter found at the site.
The cemetery of Tarlów was founded in 1609. The last known burial took place in 1942. During WWII, the Nazis destroyed the 0.7 hectare cemetery.
Tarłów was founded by Andrzej Tarła as a private town on the land of the village of Czekarzewice which, since the 14th century, was a royal station – the king’s staging point on the route from Krakow to Lublin. It was granted the Magdeburg town status in 1550 by Sigmund II Augustus, who also exempted the inhabitants from paying taxes for 20 years. In 1589, there were 76 houses in the town. The first Jews appeared in the town immediately after it was founded. In 1609, they owned a wooden synagogue and a cemetery. The privilege granted by Jan Oleśnicki in 1665 confirms that there was also a funeral house at the cemetery. In 1787, the Jewish community comprised 49.3% of the total population. During World War I, the Russians burned down the synagogue and most of the Jewish quarter. In the interwar period, Jews still constituted about 50% of the total population. In 1937, the community numbered 1,800 people. During World War II, in 1941, a ghetto was established in the town, in which approximately 10,000 Jews—from the town and its surrounding areas, as well as the Starachowice district—were confined. About 8,000 people were deported to Treblinka in 1942.
The Jewish cemetery is located northwest of the market square and covers an area of approximately 0.75 hectares. In the interwar period, there was a brick fence surrounding the synagogue in need of repair. During World War II, the cemetery was used for carrying out executions. After the war, the remains of the tombstones were used by locals for construction purposes. In 2011, at the initiative of Jan Curyła and the descendants of the former Jewish community, the cemetery was cleaned up and enclosed with a metal fence. A monument dedicated to the memory of Tarłów Jews was unveiled at that time. Tombstones recovered from the town were gathered around the monument. During field research in 2019, 32 mostly broken, sandstone matzevot from 1787 to 1896 were identified. From the east, a ditch and a cemetery road, mentioned in the 1655 privilege, have also survived. In the area of the cemetery, three tombstone bases without inscriptions were also discovered. They are located by their original burial places.