Szatmarcseke Jewish Cemetery 1
The Jewish cemetery of Szatmárcseke was established as early as 1840, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone was erected in 1939. The cemetery has been fenced.
The first Jews settled in Szatmárcseke in the second half of the 18th century. According to census records, 59 Jews lived in the village in 1840 and increased to 114 by 1880. The Jewish population later decreased and by 1941 68 Jews remained in the village. The Jewish community had a mikveh (ritual bath), a kosher butcher house, and a charity organization. In 1876, the community affiliated with the Orthodox stream following the Schism in Hungarian Jewry. The synagogue was consecrated in 1884. By 1941, the young Jewish men of the village were conscripted for forced labour. After the German occupation of Hungary in 1944, the Jews of Szatmárcseke were concentrated in the local ghetto. They were soon transferred to the Kölcse Ghetto followed by the Mátészalka Ghetto and were then deported to Auschwitz. According to the Yad Vashem database, about 70 Jews from Szatmárcseke were murdered in the Holocaust.