Synelnykovo Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Dnipropetrovsk
District
Synelnykove
Settlement
Synelnykovo
Site address
The cemetery was located where the site of the “Druzhba-Dostyk” park is today. The park is situated between Titova, Pol’ova, Bohdana Chmel’nytskoho and Hostynna streets.
GPS coordinates
48.32284, 35.54055
Perimeter length
961 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery has been demolished, now it is built up with the Soldiers Glory Park. The “Druzhba-Dostyk” park is now located on the territory of the cemetery.According to the local administration, as well as some local residents, the majority of the cemetery was demolished between the late 1970s and the beginning of the 1980s. There are a few remaining gravestones (which were found lying by the trees), but these were demolished around 10 years ago. According to both locals and the local administration, this was not a solely Jewish cemetery, the administration stated that there was never a separate Jewish section in the municipal cemetery either.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
N/A
Date of newest tombstone
N/A
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

According to the local administration, as well as some local residents, the majority of the cemetery was demolished between the late 1970s and the beginning of the 1980s. There are a few remaining gravestones (which were found lying by the trees), but these were demolished around 10 years ago.

There is not much information on the Jewish community of Synelnykovo. Jews first settled there in the late 19th century. According to the census of 1897, the Jewish population numbered 259 people, of the town’s 2,236. Synelnykovo’s Jews were mostly engaged in trade and crafting. In 1919, the Jewish community survived a pogrom and by 1926, there were 1,309 Jewish residents (out of the total of 12,581). By 1939, the Jewish population had halved to 740 Jews.
Synelnykovo was occupied on October 2nd 1941. On May 13th 1942, around 200 Jews were murdered.
The Jewish community of Synelnykovo was revived after the war.

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the local administration, and some locals, the cemetery was demolished in the late 1970s – early 1980s. Supposedly, the Druzhba-Dostyk park is situated on the site of the cemetery. There are few fallen gravestones left, as it is said they were ruined around 10 years ago. According to other sources, there was no separate Jewish sector and all burials were carried out on the local municipal cemetery.