Suhopolje Jewish Section within Municipal Cemetery
Suhopolje is a settlement and municipality located on the northern slopes of the Bilogora mountain in the region of Podravina. During the Middle Ages, a settlement called Szentendre stood on the present-day site of Suhopolje. Historical records first mention Szentendre (Suhopolje) in 1334 and the town was later presumably destroyed by the Ottoman invasion in 1532. After the end of Ottoman rule in 1684, Suhopolje was almost completely uninhabited. The 19th century was a period of rapid development and expansion for Suhopolje. In 1857, the town had 1,238 people and 2,301 inhabitants in 1910, most of whom were Croatians, Hungarians and Germans. There is little historical record of the Jewish population. The Jews of Suhopolje belonged to the nearby Virovitica community. Before the Second World War, 23 Jews lived in the town. By 1947, however, there were only four Jews in Suhopolje.
The Jewish cemetery of Suhopolje was built in the 19th century. It was a small cemetery that was situated inside of the larger Catholic cemetery, yet was separated from the Catholic tombs. The inscriptions on the graves were written in Hungarian, Croatian, Hebrew and German. The oldest tombstone dates back to 1914, the latest to 1949. In 2009, there were about 10-15 monuments still remaining.