Suchowola Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery in Suchowola is located about 1.3 km north-east of the market square, behind the crossing of the roads to Augustów and Pokośno, on the eastern side of Augustowska Street. The cemetery covers plot no. 1501 (shaped like a rectangle) with an area of 2.2 hectares. The cemetery’s establishment date is unknown. At the beginning of the 20th century, the area was expanded. Before 1939, the cemetery was surrounded by a stone wall and the area was covered with trees. There was a wooden mortuary at the entrance. During World War II, the Germans used some matzevot to pave roads. The cemetery fell into further disrepair in the post-war years. The fence was town down and almost all the tombstones were taken away. On January 29, 1963, the authorities closed the cemetery.
In the cemetery, there is a stone plaque with the following inscription placed there in 2011: “Jewish Cemetery in Suchowola, established in the 17th century. Destroyed by the Germans during World War II. Restored in 2010. Please, respect the place of memory of the dead. TNCBH.” There are also remains of individual destroyed tombstones and a lapidarium made in 2020 in the form of a horizontal concrete spout, in which fragments of matzevot found in the town were placed. On the edge of the cemetery, there is a monument with a cross, with the following inscription: “A place sanctified with the blood of the brutally murdered by the Bolsheviks on August 9, 1920. Mietko Fabian, Naumowicz Władysław, Rudakowski Piotr, Zaniewski Feliks, Zimnoch Franciszek. They died for Poland. We remember.” The owner of the cemetery is the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage. Cleaning work has been carried out by the Center of Three Cultures and the Suchowola Commune Office. The cemetery is listed in the Municipal and Provincial Register of Monuments.
Jews began to settle in Suchowola towards the beginning of the 17th century. In 1921, 1,262 Jews lived in the town (51.3% of the population), most of whom were murdered by the Germans between 1942 and 1943.