Storozhynets’ Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to epigraphic data and maps of the 1880s, it already existed in the second half of the 19th century. The cemetery is still operating.
The Jewish community emerged in the second half of the 19th century. The Jewish population stood at 1,601 (33% of the total) in 1880. The Zionists started their activity in the late 19th century. A yeshiva and a Hebrew high school operated in Storozhynets. Many local Jews fled to Austria during WWI. Their property was pillaged. In the interwar period, the Zionist youth organizations were active. The Jewish population reached 2,480 in 1930. The Iron Guard movement attacked Jews in 1937 during the Goga-Cuza government. In spring 1941, during the Soviet occupation, hundreds of the Jewish families were exiled to Siberia, and their property was deprived. During the Romanian-German occupation, 300 Jews fled to Cernauti. The remnants were deported to Transnistria. About 10% of the Jews survived.