Stoczek Jewish Cemetery
Jewish settlement in Stoczek probably began to develop in the post-partition period. 228 Jews lived in the town in 1856, and 1,221 in 1921 (74% of the entire population), most of whom were murdered in 1942 by the Germans in Treblinka. The cemetery is located about 350 metres southwest of Plac Wolności (the former market square), on the northern side of Węgrowska Street, and covers a plot of 0.93 hectares (ha). The cemetery was probably established in the 19th century. During World War II, people killed during the liquidation action in 1942 and who were caught in various hiding places in the following months were buried in the cemetery. The cemetery was used for carrying out executions as well. According to some estimates, about 200 victims were buried there in a mass grave and, after 1945, the Jews who survived the Holocaust erected a monument to mark it.
The cemetery was probably devastated during the war and continued to fall into disrepair in the following decades. From 1956-1960, the area was fenced, but the fence was eventually destroyed. An energy line was also built which runs through the cemetery. In 1984-1985, the authorities of Stoczek fenced parts of the cemetery (an area of about 0.10 hectares) and placed the preserved tombstones in there. The area was also planted with trees and shrubs. Currently, within the fenced part, there are tombstones and fragments of tombs with inscriptions (the oldest identified one is dated 1903), about 30-40 granite stones without inscriptions, and 4 sandstone obelisks without inscription plates. In the northern part is the mass grave of the Holocaust victims with a monument in the form of a black granite stele, and with an inscription in Yiddish and Polish. The communal services maintain and clean the lapidarium. A building of the Municipal Establishment is (probably) now in the eastern part of the cemetery. The rest of the cemetery is unfenced and overgrown with wild vegetation. The boundaries of the cemetery are imperceptible. The cemetery is listed in the Provincial Register of Monuments.