Stepan’ Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Rivne
District
Sarny
Settlement
Stepan'
Site address
Stepan' Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
51.136078,26.313939
Perimeter length
N/A
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
Type of the fence
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery. The cemetery has a total perimeter of 440 metres and a fenced perimeter of 270 metres. The southern section of the site has been demolished and is now occupied by private houses. The majority of the preserved site is clear and well maintained, although some parts are slightly overgrown.
Number of existing gravestones
23
Date of oldest tombstone
1919
Date of newest tombstone
1936
Urgency of erecting a fence
Medium
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is a tsiyun dedicated to one Rabbi David of Stepan', a student of Maggid from Mezhyrich; Rabbi Yosef Yoel, son of rav Yaakov Aharon Helprin, student of Besht; Rabbi Aharon Shmuel, author of "veTso haKohen"; Rabbanith Eydele, mother; and rabbanith Ester Sheyndl, wife of the author of "Sefer Smikhat Khakhamim". There is a memorial dedicated to the Jewish villagers murdered between ancient times and 1943.
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s foundation is unknown, but it can be inferred from the dates on the tombstones that it was established in the early 20th century. It first appears on a Russian map from 1904. The cemetery was also mentioned in Yizkor memorial book of Stepan’ issued in 1977 and marked on its map.