Staryy Chortoryys’k Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Staryy Chortoryys’k
Site address
Staryy Chortoryys'k Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
Perimeter length
296 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Type of the fence
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is severely overgrown with bushes and tall grass. Some of the tombstones are partially submerged in the ground. The cemetery site is used for cattle grazing. It appears one of the broken tombstones is lying beyond the formerly fenced territory. Clearance and fencing are both required.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The cemetery was most likely established in the 16th or 17th century. In the mid-19th century, it appears on Russian maps. The cemetery was once larger than the fenced area. The Jews began to settle in Staryy Chortoryys’k in 1577. In 1765, 473 Jews lived there. In 1887, the Jewish population had grown to 822 (29.6% of the total population). During WWI, the village was situated on the front line and many houses were burnt. Jews were expelled from the village, and only a quarter of the Jewish population returned: in 1921, the population included 220 Jews. In 1941, the number of Jews in Staryy Chortoryys’k was estimated to be around 300. On June 26, 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied the town, killing 300 Jews near the village cemetery. In 1968, survivors paid for the erection of a monument on the site of the shooting. The Jewish journalist Yona Rosenfeld was born in Staryy Chortoryys’k.

View 3D model