Starokostyantyniv Old Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. But since it appears on city plans of 1794, it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged in the late 18th century. It was not marked on maps later. According to locals, the cemetery was demolished during the Soviet period. Jews are present from the mid-16th century. The Jewish community suffered the Cossack invasions twice in the middle of the 17th and once in the early 18th century. In the late 19th century, several factories in the city were owned by the Jews. The Jewish population reached a peak of 9,212 (55,7% of the total) in 1897. A Talmud-Tora and Jewish elementary school were established in the early 20th century. A Jewish kolkhoz was created in 1926. In 1939, three Jewish schools functioned. In 1939, the Jewish population declined to 6,743 (31% of the total). Some Jews were evacuated to the East of the country, Jewish men enrolled in the Red army. At the beginning of the German occupation on July 8, 1941, around 6,000 Jews were in the town. In August-September 1941, 989 Jews were shot. A ghetto was established in early 1942. During the liquidation of the ghetto, 6,500 Jewish prisoners from Starokostyantyniv and neighbouring districts were murdered.