Starokostyantyniv New Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the dates on the preserved gravestone, it can be assumed that the cemetery already existed in the mid 19th century. It appears on Russian maps of 1917. It was also marked on the map of 1943 when its borders expanded. Probably, the Christian cemetery occupied a piece of the Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is still operational.
Jews are present from the mid-16th century. The Jewish community suffered the Cossack invasions twice in the middle of the 17th and once in the early 18th century. In the late 19th century, several factories in the city were owned by the Jews. The Jewish population reached a peak of 9,212 (55,7% of the total) in 1897. A Talmud-Tora and Jewish elementary school were established in the early 20th century. A Jewish kolkhoz was created in 1926. In 1939, three Jewish schools functioned. In 1939, the Jewish population declined to 6,743 (31% of the total). Some Jews were evacuated to the East of the country, Jewish men enrolled in the Red army. At the beginning of the German occupation on July 8, 1941, around 6,000 Jews were in the town. In August-September 1941, 989 Jews were shot. A ghetto was established in early 1942. During the liquidation of the ghetto, 6,500 Jewish prisoners from Starokostyantyniv and neighbouring districts were murdered.