Stanislavchyk Jewish Cemetery
According to Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was established in the 18th century. It can be found marked on maps of the region from the 1900s and a Red Army map from 1941.
The village of Stanislavchyk was mentioned as early as at least the 16th century under the name Yushkov. From 1569 the region belonged to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In the late 16th century the settlement was totally demolished by Tartars, and reestablished in early 17th under the name Chagarin. In 1765, there were 22 Jewish residents.
In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under the control of the Russian Empire, it became a part of the Podolia Governorate (Podolskaya Gubernia), and was renamed to Stanislavchyk. In 1847, the Jewish society of Stanislavchyk numbered 191, in 1864, 202 and in 1897, the Jewish population of Stanislavchyk comprised around one quarter of the town’s population: 1207 of 5142. In 1910 there was a talmud-torah and two Jewish prayer houses.
After 1922, Stanislavchyk became a part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. A Jewish council (soviet) and a Yiddish school (four grades) were active for a short while. In 1929 one of two synagogues was closed and rededicated as a library,a few years after this, the second one was also rededicated as a cinema. In the 1930s, Holodomor and the Great Terror affected the Jewish residents along with all the other townsfolk. In 1939, the Jewish population was 301.
In 1941, some Jews fled to the East but most remained behind. Stanislavchyk was occupied by the Germans and Romanians on July 17, 1941, and included in the Transnistria Governorate. Soon after a ghetto was established. Around 200 local Jews, and hundreds of Jews from Bukovina and Bessarabia were deported there. Many died under the harsh ghetto conditions. Of those deported, 81 were still in the ghetto in early September 1943. Stanislavchyk was liberated by the Red Army in April 1944.
In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Stanislavchyk became a part of the independent Ukraine.
The Jewish cemetery of Stanislavchyk is believed to have been established in the 18th century. Today its remains can be found at the North-Eastern outskirts of the town, and number a few dozen headstones, which date back to the 19th-20th centuries.