Spychyntsi Jewish Cemetery
Given the oldest preserved tombstone is dated 1912, it can be inferred the cemetery was already in use by the early 20th century. It can be found marked on a map of Western Russia from the 1900s.
There is not much information about the Jewish community of Spychyntsi. According to the census of 1897, the Jewish population numbered 937 people out of the total of 2,607. In 1926 there were 774 Jewish residents. The Jewish community survived a pogrom in 1918.
Janusz Jędrzejewicz, Polish politician and educator, was born in Spychyntsi in1885.
Arye Shenkar, entrepreneur, was born in 1877 in Spychyntsi.
Spychyntsi was occupied on July 21st 1941. Jews were murdered in two stages: some in October with Jews from Plyskiv and the remaining 290 Jews in April 1942.
There is no information on the modern Jewish community of Spychyntsi.
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The cemetery is marked on maps from the 1900s of the region. It is likely that it was founded no later than in the early 20th century, as the earliest gravestone found dates to 1912. The most recent gravestone dates to 1919. According to locals, there are around 100 gravestones. The cemetery is overgrown.