Solec nad Wisla Jewish Cemetery
The first records of Jews in Solec nad Wisłą (Solec on the Vistula River) date to the 17th century, though Jewish settlement only began to significantly develop in the 19th century. In 1921, 735 Jews lived in the town (43.6% of the total population), most of whom were murdered at the end of 1942 by the Germans in Treblinka. The cemetery is located about 700 metres (m) northwest of the market square, on a small hill, among arable fields, on the eastern side of Polna Street and covers a plot of land (shaped like a parallelogram) measuring approximately 30 x 66 m. The cemetery was established around 1889 when the synagogue supervision in Solec nad Wisłą was founded. In the interwar period, there was a limestone fence surrounding the cemetery. The cemetery was in use until World War II. Among the last people to be buried were Jankiel Dawidson, who was shot by German gendarmes on April 1, 1942, and four people of unknown identity, shot on October 28, 1943.
The cemetery presumably fell into disrepair during the war and continued to degrade through the following decades. On November 15, 1962, the Presidium of the City National Council in Lipsko adopted a resolution to close the cemetery (then covering 0.2 hectares). The ordinance was signed by the Minister of Municipal Economy on June 26, 1964. As a result of the cemetery’s ruined state, only single destructed sandstone stelae have been recovered. The borders are partially visible as some ruins of the earth embankment and stone wall remain. The area is overgrown with trees and dense shrubs. There is no form of commemoration of any kind. The pediment of the matzevah of Yitzchak, son of Yehuda, who died on April 9, 1906, was placed in front of the Parish Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Solec nad Wisłą, next to the monument of John Paul II. The owner of the cemetery is the Company for the Development of the Land Community in Solec nad Wisłą. The cemetery is listed in the Provincial Register of Monuments, and it is not listed in the Register of Immovable Monuments of the Mazowieckie Province.