Sokyryany Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in the 1840s. It also was marked on maps from the 1860s and 1907. The cemetery is still operating.
Jews settled in Sokyryany in the first half of the 19th century. A Hevra Kadisha society operated in the late 19th century. Synagogues were maintained by groups of Jewish artisans. The Jewish population reached 5,042 (56,1% of the total population) in 1897. Several thousands of refugees, who fled the 1918-20s pogroms in Ukraine, arrived in the town. Later, they immigrated to the US or overseas. In the 1920s, a Hebrew school and a kindergarten were opened. The Zionists became active in 1917, and expand their movement in the 1930s. The Jewish population numbered 4,200 (72,9% of the total population) by 1930. The German-Romanian troops captured Sokyryany on July 6, 1941. 90 Jews were executed in the first days of the occupation. On October 3, 1941, 30,000 Jewish prisoners of the Sokyryany camp were expelled to Transnistria. About 500 Jews survived WWII.