Sokilets’ Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The oldest preserved gravestone relates to the early 19th century so it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. First, it appears on Russian maps of 1879. Later it was marked on maps of the 1920s and 1939. In 1765, 356 Jewish residents lived in Sokilets’. By 1987, this figure grew to 747 (27% of the total population). The Jewish population slightly decreased to 505 people in 1923. A Jewish council operated under the Soviets. The Wehrmacht troops occupied Sokilets’ in July 1941. On August 31, 380 Jews from Sokilets’ and Velykyy Zhvanchyk were executed.