Sokal Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it appears on cadastral maps of 1850. Later it can be found on Polish maps of Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny (WIG) of 1939, and cemetery’s borders expanded. Jews are first mentioned in the early 16th century. In 1570, 24 Jews were inhabitants of Sokal’. In 1765, the Jewish population reached 1,390. In the first half of the 18th century, the Jews dominated local trade. A beit-midrash was operated. A fortified synagogue was built in 1856. Belz Hasidism predominated, Husiatyn, Chertkov and Sadigura Hasidic dynasties were also present in Sokal’. In 1900, the Jewish population grew to 3,788 (39,4% of the total population). The first Zionist branch was opened in 1904. Some followers of the Husiatin and Chertkov Hasidism joined the Zionist movement. The Jewish population increased to 4,660 (45,7% of the total population). The Jewish population reached 5,220 in 1931. After the Soviet annexation, the restrictions were imposed on the Zionist and Bund activists, and commercial activities were prohibited. With the arrival of refugees from Poland, the Jewish population numbered more than 6,000 in summer 1940. The German forces captured Sokal’ on June 22, 1941, and a pogrom was staged. In September and October 1942, more than 4,000 Jews were deported to the Belzec death camp, and around 220 Jews were shot on the spot. On October 15, 1942, a ghetto was founded. The Jews from the surrounding villages were packed into it. It was liquidated on May 27, 1943, and about 3,000 Jews were executed.