Slavuta Old Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in the mid 19th century. First, it appears on Russian maps of the beginning of the 20th century. Later it was marked on Polish maps of 1939. The cemetery was fenced by ESJF in November 2016. Jews are known from the 18th century. In 1765, 246 Jews were inhabitants of Slavuta. A Jewish printing press functioned in 1792-1836. In the early 19th century, a soap, cloth, paper and candle plants, a sawmill, foundry and flour mill were operating. The Jewish population reached 4,891 (57,8% of the total) in 1897. Under the Soviets, a Jewish school and clubs were opened. Jews were engaged in crafts. In 1934, an ancient four-stored synagogue was demolished. 5,102 Jews resided in the city in 1939. On July 7, 1941, the German army captured Slavuta. In August 1941, during two actions, 1,233 Jews were executed. Over 5,000 Jews of Slavuta and adjoining villages were herded into a ghetto. On June 25, 1942, a ghetto was liquidated. In September 1942, skilled labourers and their families were murdered. Three monuments dedicated to the victims of the Holocaust were erected.