Skole Jewish Сemetery
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It occupied a big piece of land on a map of 1880. Presumably, the cemetery was operating till WWII than it was vandalised and later partly built over.
The Jews started to settle down in Skole from the early 18th century. The independent Jewish community was created in the mid-18th century. At that time the Jews of Skole were mainly employed in the local match and shovel factories. By 1880, the Jewish population reached 1,333 (65% of the total population). In 1900, it grew to 2,095 (60,8% of the total population). The Zionist organizations became politically influential in the Jewish community of the town. The peak of the Jewish population stood up 3,099 (48,2% of the total population) in 1910. In 1931, 2,674 Jews resided in Skole. To the middle of 1941, the Jewish population increased to approximately 3,000. After the Soviet invasion of Poland in 1939, the Jews engaged in the commerce were forced to stop their trades. The Wehrmacht troops occupied Skole on July 2, 1941. During two operations in early September and middle October 1942, around 2,170 Jews were deported to the Belzec death camp through Stryy. From September 1942 till June and August 1943, two labour camps existed in Skole. In 2003, a monument was erected on the site of the execution of Jews in Skole.