Skalbmierz Jewish Cemetery
Skalbmierz was granted town rights in 1344 and it was a bishop’s town. Until the second half of the 18th century, Jews were forbidden from settling there. The community did not begin to develop until the 19th century. In 1868, Jews constituted 8% of the population, and 30 years later, the Jewish community constituted 28.5% of the population (359 people). The organized Jewish community (kehilla) was established in the first years of the 20th century. In 1901, a synagogue was built. In 1921, 609 Jews lived among 1,715 inhabitants in Skalbmierz. In 1939, the community numbered 430 people. During the war, no ghetto was established in the city. A ban on leaving the town, however, was introduced. Jews were forced to build a road towards Miechów. About 1,000 Jews from Krakow were transported to Skalbmierz. On August 29, 1942, most of the Jews were deported to the transit camp in Słomniki, and then to the death camp in Bełżec.
The Jewish cemetery was likely established at the end of the 19th century on a hill west of the town. It was shaped like a trapezoid and was originally surrounded by a stone wall. The cemetery was destroyed during the German occupation. Currently, the area remains overgrown and unfenced. In the south-eastern corner of the cemetery, a dozen or so fragments of matzevot have been preserved. In 1982, a monument with a Hebrew-Polish plaque was erected in the northern part of the cemetery, which reads: “This is the cemetery of the Jews of Skalbmierz who lived here before the extermination by the Germans in 1942.” The cemetery was listed in the Provincial Register of Monuments in 2018.