Shyryayeve Jewish Cemetery
The period of the establishment of the Jewish cemetery in Shyryayeve is unknown. It was marked on a Russian map of the General Staff of the Workers’ and Peasants’ Red Army in 1941. Local people remember the cemetery, but they say it was no longer existing in the 1980s. Presumably, it was demolished during the post-WWII Soviet period, when this part of the town was rebuilt.
There is not much information about the Jewish community in Shyryayeve. In the early 19th century, a synagogue was built. In 1897, the Jewish population numbered 567, and it fell to 293 (11% of the total population) in 1939. In the 1930s, an elementary school for Jewish children was active. When Nazi forces occupied Shyryayeve on August 6, 1941, 87 Jews were living in the town. They were murdered alongside 21 Jews from the surrounding villages on September 24, 1941.