Shchyrets Jewish Cemetery
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on a map from the 1880s. Presumably, the cemetery was operating until WWII.
The earliest records of the Jewish life of Shchyrets’ relates to 1629. In the early 18th century, the local Jewish community was subordinated to the Komarno Kehilla. In 1770, Leibush bar Efraim served as a rabbi in Shchyrets’. His son Rabbi Izhak carried out his duties after his death. In 1880, the Jewish population reached 1,385 (78,9% of the total population). In the late 19th century, the head of the Jewish community also served as a mayor of the town. In the early 20th century, the Zionists movement was active. In 1911, Hebrew school for boys and girls was opened by Zionists. In 1910, the Jewish population stood up in 1,264 (78,3% of the total population) and reduced to 712 (76% of the total population) by 1921. In the interwar period, the Jewish Joint Distribution Committee supported the community. The Zionist organizations like “Ahva”, “Sheher” and “Beitar” were established. In 1931, 850 Jews resided in the town. The Wehrmacht troops occupied Shchyrets’ in June 1941. In August and November 1942, more than 1,000 Jews were deported to the Bibrka ghetto and the Belzec death camp.